Chicken Ceylon Style (Sri Lanka)
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 -2 1⁄2lbs fryer chickens, cut in pieces
- 2tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo
- 2onions, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2tablespoon ginger
- 1tablespoon curry powder
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- Mix buttermilk and garlic powder in bowl. Add chicken and let marinate 2 hours or more. Baste and turn often.
- Melt butter in a deep skillet and saute onions 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, mix salt, ginger, curry and cornstarch together in a small bowl and sprinkle over onions, stirring until well blended.
- Drain the chicken (reserve the buttermilk) and cook the chicken in the same skillet until lightly browned. Stir in buttermilk. Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Baste frequently.